Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Resources

The adventure of BBQ has led me to a variety of resources, both recommended and found, that has given me bits of insight into the world of barbecue.  Everything from cook times and temperatures to a variety of recipes that I would like to share with you. 

If you have any good websites and/or books please feel free to let me know what they are and I will gladly post them.  Email me at CaughtSmokinBBQ@gmail.com.

Now on with the resources to help make you a professional griller....


Books

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue was a great book.  If you are going to purchase any book about barbecue I highly recommend this one.  It contained hundreds of recipes for every type of meet and a lot of great championship barbecue tips that can be used in your back yard.








Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book was a good read as well.  Big Bob's great grandson-in-law, Chris Lilly, shares some of the family's secrets, and shows you how to create everything from a great rub to maintaining a good fire with easy to follow instructions.










Television
Once I watched this show I was hooked.  If you haven't seen it yet catch it on TLC Thursdays at 10 pm.  If you can start with Season One and get yourself caught up you won't be disappointed.  In addition to picking up some good tips you will see the problems pitmasters run into while cooking.





Although I have never seen the show I was told you can catch re-runs of The Barbecue University on PBS on occasion.  Steven Raichlen is a master chef with a number of award winning books.  The show ran from 2003-2006.







Internet

3 Guys from Miami was one of the first web sites I visited when trying to gain some knowledge on roasting a whole pig.  I didn't use their recipe, but took away some insight on how to build a pit and cook a pig.  Check out their web site and how they roast a pig Cuban style.

Cowgirl's Country Life was a blog I visited that has since received a 2nd place award for 2011 Best Food Blogger from Friends Eat.  Jeanie is a true country girl who hunts and raises her own food.  She has been blogging since 2007 and has since posted a number of recipes and gives some great tips on everything from grilling to smoking.